Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM EST
Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, but before that he worked for NBA.com, where one of his duties was to help Gilbert Arenas write his popular blog. (What, you thought he did that all himself?)
So when asked to write a letter of support to the court for Arenas before sentencing, McMenamin did. The stuff written — calling Arenas “good” and “nice” among other things — was not very noteworthy.
But it still did not sit well with his new bosses at the four-letter network, who released this statement.
“David wrote the letter on his own without any discussion or involvement with ESPN. While he has never been involved with ESPN’s coverage of the Arenas case, this is clearly a serious matter, and he understands his mistake.”
The only person with a real say left in this case — the judge — speaks on Friday, when sentencing comes down.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 0
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 6
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 31
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31