Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, but before that he worked for NBA.com, where one of his duties was to help Gilbert Arenas write his popular blog. (What, you thought he did that all himself?)
So when asked to write a letter of support to the court for Arenas before sentencing, McMenamin did. The stuff written — calling Arenas “good” and “nice” among other things — was not very noteworthy.
But it still did not sit well with his new bosses at the four-letter network, who released this statement.
“David wrote the letter on his own without any discussion or involvement with ESPN. While he has never been involved with ESPN’s coverage of the Arenas case, this is clearly a serious matter, and he understands his mistake.”
The only person with a real say left in this case — the judge — speaks on Friday, when sentencing comes down.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25