Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, but before that he worked for NBA.com, where one of his duties was to help Gilbert Arenas write his popular blog. (What, you thought he did that all himself?)
So when asked to write a letter of support to the court for Arenas before sentencing, McMenamin did. The stuff written — calling Arenas “good” and “nice” among other things — was not very noteworthy.
But it still did not sit well with his new bosses at the four-letter network, who released this statement.
“David wrote the letter on his own without any discussion or involvement with ESPN. While he has never been involved with ESPN’s coverage of the Arenas case, this is clearly a serious matter, and he understands his mistake.”
The only person with a real say left in this case — the judge — speaks on Friday, when sentencing comes down.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 23
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23