Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, but before that he worked for NBA.com, where one of his duties was to help Gilbert Arenas write his popular blog. (What, you thought he did that all himself?)
So when asked to write a letter of support to the court for Arenas before sentencing, McMenamin did. The stuff written — calling Arenas “good” and “nice” among other things — was not very noteworthy.
But it still did not sit well with his new bosses at the four-letter network, who released this statement.
“David wrote the letter on his own without any discussion or involvement with ESPN. While he has never been involved with ESPN’s coverage of the Arenas case, this is clearly a serious matter, and he understands his mistake.”
The only person with a real say left in this case — the judge — speaks on Friday, when sentencing comes down.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12