Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM EDT
Dave McMenamin covers the Lakers for ESPNLosAngeles.com, but before that he worked for NBA.com, where one of his duties was to help Gilbert Arenas write his popular blog. (What, you thought he did that all himself?)
So when asked to write a letter of support to the court for Arenas before sentencing, McMenamin did. The stuff written — calling Arenas “good” and “nice” among other things — was not very noteworthy.
But it still did not sit well with his new bosses at the four-letter network, who released this statement.
“David wrote the letter on his own without any discussion or involvement with ESPN. While he has never been involved with ESPN’s coverage of the Arenas case, this is clearly a serious matter, and he understands his mistake.”
The only person with a real say left in this case — the judge — speaks on Friday, when sentencing comes down.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars