Mar 24, 2010, 4:15 PM EDT
The Celtics are in a fight with Atlanta for the we-get-to-avoid-Cleveland-in-the-second-round seed in the East. What you and I call the three seed. It also helps you avoid Milwaukee in the first round. It’s very coveted.
Which is why a six-game homestand should be a cause for celebration, a chance for Boston to grab hold of the three seed. Except that this season’s Celtics have learned nothing from Under Armour commercials — they have not protected this house (as the Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn explains).
All season, the Celtics have not played consistently or felt comfortable at TD Garden, and the players and coaches have just learned to accept it as a mystery… So there is much at stake in this six-game stretch, with four opponents heading to the playoffs (Denver, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, and Cleveland) in addition to a difficult game against Houston and a tricky matchup with the young Kings.
“It’s tough, but it’s at home,” said coach Doc Rivers. “It would be a nice chance to reestablish us at home. We haven’t done that this year yet. We haven’t had a lot of rhythm at home, so we have a chance right now.”
It’s not really a mystery, the Celtics have basically identical numbers on the road and at home (most teams play better at home). Which is consistent. Consistency is nice. But right now and heading into the playoffs, the Celtics need more than nice. They need a little of that 2008 mean. There have been flashes lately, but now it is time to bring it home. Time to protect this house.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43