Mar 24, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
While the tough talk of prosecutors got all the attention yesterday, Gilbert Arenas’ attorney also made his case to the judge.
His idea — no jail time, some community service and six months of probation, according to the Washington Post.
“It is clear” that the incident “was not intended to be violent, but was rather a very misguided attempt to play a prank to provoke a reaction” from Crittenton, (Arenas’ attorney Kenneth L.) Wainstein wrote.
Wainstein said Arenas has already been punished. The NBA’s 50-game suspension will cost Arenas $7 million this season, he wrote in his 37-page memo. Wainstein said Arenas has lost more than $50 million in endorsements, bonuses and other compensation after he was dropped by Adidas and Spalding. Wainstein included dozens of letters of support for the former all star.
Wainstein’s letter is a far cry from the voice of prosecutors, who called for three months of jail time, three years of probation and 300 hours of community service. Of course, in an adversarial system like ours, you expect the two requests to be dramatically different.
The only voice that really matters is Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin. He speaks on Friday.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 0
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 11
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 29
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 11
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 19
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut