Mar 23, 2010, 2:50 PM EST
After dropping 13 of their last 13 games, the Minnesota Timberwolves knew it was time to make a change. So they’re bringing in the big guns, and likely re-signing two-time MVP Brian Cardinal for the home stretch.
The Wolves are just 28 games out of the final playoff spot in the West, meaning that Cardinal’s services are as vital as ever. He averaged an impressive 1.7 points and 0.9 rebounds per game this year in 27 contests for the Wolves until he was included in a trade that brought in former All-Star Darko Milicic.
Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson were firmly opposed to the move, implying that it was unfair and disrupts the competitive equity of the game. From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles, modified for the sake of specifics and accuracy (and Brian Cardinal):
“They’re going to get [Cardinal] back and it’s going to be one of
those scenarios that we see in the NBA where you ship a player out, you
get another player, then your player retires or they pay him off and
then he comes back in 30 days,” Jackson said. “I don’t know what that
does for the league. I think that’s kind of a weird situation.”
Rivers agreed with Jackson, even though the loophole has helped his team in the past.
have a problem with that,” Rivers said before Thursday’s Lakers-Celtics
game at Staples Center. “I loved it three years ago when we did it with Gary Payton if you remember, but now I think it sucks. I think it’s a terrible deal.”
Rivers and the Celtics traded Payton to Atlanta in March 2005 for Antoine Walker and Payton returned to Boston after being waived by the Hawks.
actually do have a problem with that though. We did it, and I’m joking,
but I do think [it’s a problem],” Rivers said. “I don’t know what you
do [maybe] just not allow them to go back to the same team or whatever.
… I do think that will be changed eventually, but I do have a problem
There’s no official word from the NBA office concerning plans to change the rules in light of Cardinal-gate. In order to clear a roster spot, the Wolves will be waiving Alando Tucker, who, let’s face it, is no Brian Cardinal.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 16
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11