Mar 23, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
On Both Teams Played Hard, Noam Schiller has written an absolutely massive deconstruction of Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose’s game. There’s a lot of good stuff in there about Rose’s floor game, passing, and defense, but one of the main points the article makes is that Rose takes way too many long two-point jumpers, which hurts his scoring efficiency.
Bulls guard Derrick Rose has taken 13 3-point attempts in the last two games, after previously attempting just 20 all season.“I’m going to keep taking it,” Rose said Monday after the Bulls’ 98-88 victory over the Houston Rockets.. “My other ones were flat, but I hit the most important ones.”Indeed, Rose expressed major relief when his sixth attempt against the Rockets found the bottom of the net after he had missed his first five. He finished 2-for-7 from beyond the arc after sinking a career-best four against the 76ers last Saturday.“You’re going to see that (reaction) a lot,” Rose said, jokingly. “That’s not going to be the last time.”
For Josh Smith, cutting the three-point shot from his game was a great idea, because Smith is a terrible outside shooter — for all the emphasis on his mid-range game, Smith is currently making 28% of his shots from 16-23 feet. Unlike Smith, Rose can’t be an effective player without taking some shots from the perimeter. If he insists on taking long jumpers, it’s much better that they come from beyond the arc than from one or two steps inside of it. It will look ugly when a player as quick as rose goes 1-7 from three-point range in a game, but the reality is that he’s much better off taking those threes than the shots he’s settled for thus far.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 7
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 5
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 28
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2