Mar 23, 2010, 8:27 AM EDT
There needs to be a culture change with the Golden State Warriors.
Everyone not named Chris Cohan has recognized this for years. That is a mess of an organization. In fact organization is a poor choice of words, let’s go with franchise. Whoever ends up buying Golden State, the changes need to run deeper than just a new coach — they need to run to the very core of the model. A culture of winning needs to be built from the ground up. If it is Oracle CEO Larry Ellison who buys the Warriors, he needs to go out and get the very best.
He needs Jerry West.
Except Jerry West says he wants no part of this, that he has had no talks with Ellison. He made that statement yesterday in a radio interview on 710 ESPN in Los Angeles, he made a similar one a couple days before to Sports Illustrated (before the sale announcement went public).
“That is completely false. I haven’t talked to Larry for a number of years,” West told SI.com a few days before the Warriors made their announcement.
“There is one owner of that team: Chris Cohan,” West said. “Everyone says this team is for sale. I always hear rumors. I have no clue. People just throw things out there. I am not in the loop in the NBA. For the most part, I sit back and watch the game from a distance. I watch the teams who are sliding. I look at places where there are opportunities to make enormous headway.”
There have been no talks between West and Ellison, so far. Ellison does not own the team yet, that bidding process is just getting started.
But there have been multiple reports — including ESPN’s Marc Stein — that if Ellison buys the team he will approach West. And do so with a big offer that will be hard to turn down, including a piece of team ownership
That would have to be tempting. West was underpaid compared to the market for all those years he was general manager of the Lakers. It wasn’t until Memphis he got paid close to what you’d expect. While West has been out of the game, it would be tough to turn down part ownership, something that would truly set his family up for generations.
But none of that has happened. Yet.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29