Mar 23, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
In the sentencing memo by U.S. prosecutors for Gilbert Arenas’ case, a wrinkle has been revealed. Prosecutors outlined a text sent to Crittenton which they say was forwarded on behalf of Arenas, telling Javaris Crittenton not to mention their dispute over a card game which sparked the debacle.
That Arenas isn’t facing further charges for interfering in an investigation is stunning, and this could impact how much time Arenas receives when he’s sentenced on Friday. If true, the allegation also will impact Arenas’ attempts to recover his career. While Arenas has been handed a suspension by David Stern for the rest of the season, there’s nothing limiting further punishment if the league was unaware of an attempt to cover up an investigation using another player.
The level to which Arenas mishandled this situation is truly stunning.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 17
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 55
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19