Mar 23, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
In the sentencing memo by U.S. prosecutors for Gilbert Arenas’ case, a wrinkle has been revealed. Prosecutors outlined a text sent to Crittenton which they say was forwarded on behalf of Arenas, telling Javaris Crittenton not to mention their dispute over a card game which sparked the debacle.
That Arenas isn’t facing further charges for interfering in an investigation is stunning, and this could impact how much time Arenas receives when he’s sentenced on Friday. If true, the allegation also will impact Arenas’ attempts to recover his career. While Arenas has been handed a suspension by David Stern for the rest of the season, there’s nothing limiting further punishment if the league was unaware of an attempt to cover up an investigation using another player.
The level to which Arenas mishandled this situation is truly stunning.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 0
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 1
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 6
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 12