Mar 23, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
In the sentencing memo by U.S. prosecutors for Gilbert Arenas’ case, a wrinkle has been revealed. Prosecutors outlined a text sent to Crittenton which they say was forwarded on behalf of Arenas, telling Javaris Crittenton not to mention their dispute over a card game which sparked the debacle.
That Arenas isn’t facing further charges for interfering in an investigation is stunning, and this could impact how much time Arenas receives when he’s sentenced on Friday. If true, the allegation also will impact Arenas’ attempts to recover his career. While Arenas has been handed a suspension by David Stern for the rest of the season, there’s nothing limiting further punishment if the league was unaware of an attempt to cover up an investigation using another player.
The level to which Arenas mishandled this situation is truly stunning.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40