Mar 23, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
You’ll be able to tell people who own Carmelo Anthony in fantasy basketball leagues today. No matter what you tell them, there will be this little smile on their face, like they know something good is going to happen to them.
Like defensive question mark Danilo Gallinari asking to cover Anthony tonight. Lets allow Mitch Lawrence of the Daily News to tell the story.
Anthony already has hung 50 points on the Knicks this season – more than LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant or any other NBA player.
Here’s the kicker: Not exactly known as a defender, Gallinari asked for the assignment.
“I like to play against the best because that’s the only way to improve,” he said Monday after practice in Greenburgh. “It’s a part of learning. It’s a part of trying to understand where I am and what I have to do get to that level and what they have more than me. I like the challenge.”
Gallinari has not been a terrible defender against small forwards, according to 82games.com he allows opponents to shoot 50.4 percent (that’s effective field goal percentage, which gives a bonus for made threes made) and have a PER of 16.2, both a little above average but not out of control. However, Gallinari gets eaten up by power forwards, they have a PER of 20.5 against him his season.
Anthony technically plays the three, but he is anything but prototypical. He can bang like a power forward or drain threes. He is an offensive force. And Gallo is going to learn he cannot stop him. Meaning Carmelo’s fantasy owners are going to be very happy tonight.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32