Mar 23, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
You’ll be able to tell people who own Carmelo Anthony in fantasy basketball leagues today. No matter what you tell them, there will be this little smile on their face, like they know something good is going to happen to them.
Like defensive question mark Danilo Gallinari asking to cover Anthony tonight. Lets allow Mitch Lawrence of the Daily News to tell the story.
Anthony already has hung 50 points on the Knicks this season – more than LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant or any other NBA player.
Here’s the kicker: Not exactly known as a defender, Gallinari asked for the assignment.
“I like to play against the best because that’s the only way to improve,” he said Monday after practice in Greenburgh. “It’s a part of learning. It’s a part of trying to understand where I am and what I have to do get to that level and what they have more than me. I like the challenge.”
Gallinari has not been a terrible defender against small forwards, according to 82games.com he allows opponents to shoot 50.4 percent (that’s effective field goal percentage, which gives a bonus for made threes made) and have a PER of 16.2, both a little above average but not out of control. However, Gallinari gets eaten up by power forwards, they have a PER of 20.5 against him his season.
Anthony technically plays the three, but he is anything but prototypical. He can bang like a power forward or drain threes. He is an offensive force. And Gallo is going to learn he cannot stop him. Meaning Carmelo’s fantasy owners are going to be very happy tonight.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona