Mar 23, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
You’ll be able to tell people who own Carmelo Anthony in fantasy basketball leagues today. No matter what you tell them, there will be this little smile on their face, like they know something good is going to happen to them.
Like defensive question mark Danilo Gallinari asking to cover Anthony tonight. Lets allow Mitch Lawrence of the Daily News to tell the story.
Anthony already has hung 50 points on the Knicks this season – more than LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant or any other NBA player.
Here’s the kicker: Not exactly known as a defender, Gallinari asked for the assignment.
“I like to play against the best because that’s the only way to improve,” he said Monday after practice in Greenburgh. “It’s a part of learning. It’s a part of trying to understand where I am and what I have to do get to that level and what they have more than me. I like the challenge.”
Gallinari has not been a terrible defender against small forwards, according to 82games.com he allows opponents to shoot 50.4 percent (that’s effective field goal percentage, which gives a bonus for made threes made) and have a PER of 16.2, both a little above average but not out of control. However, Gallinari gets eaten up by power forwards, they have a PER of 20.5 against him his season.
Anthony technically plays the three, but he is anything but prototypical. He can bang like a power forward or drain threes. He is an offensive force. And Gallo is going to learn he cannot stop him. Meaning Carmelo’s fantasy owners are going to be very happy tonight.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 19
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 48