Mar 23, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
You’ll be able to tell people who own Carmelo Anthony in fantasy basketball leagues today. No matter what you tell them, there will be this little smile on their face, like they know something good is going to happen to them.
Like defensive question mark Danilo Gallinari asking to cover Anthony tonight. Lets allow Mitch Lawrence of the Daily News to tell the story.
Anthony already has hung 50 points on the Knicks this season – more than LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant or any other NBA player.
Here’s the kicker: Not exactly known as a defender, Gallinari asked for the assignment.
“I like to play against the best because that’s the only way to improve,” he said Monday after practice in Greenburgh. “It’s a part of learning. It’s a part of trying to understand where I am and what I have to do get to that level and what they have more than me. I like the challenge.”
Gallinari has not been a terrible defender against small forwards, according to 82games.com he allows opponents to shoot 50.4 percent (that’s effective field goal percentage, which gives a bonus for made threes made) and have a PER of 16.2, both a little above average but not out of control. However, Gallinari gets eaten up by power forwards, they have a PER of 20.5 against him his season.
Anthony technically plays the three, but he is anything but prototypical. He can bang like a power forward or drain threes. He is an offensive force. And Gallo is going to learn he cannot stop him. Meaning Carmelo’s fantasy owners are going to be very happy tonight.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 47
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42