Mar 22, 2010, 5:55 PM EDT
With a recent four-game winning streak that included wins on the road against Houston and Dallas, the Boston Celtics are letting everybody know that rumors of their demise may have been exaggerated. Eastern Conference Player of The Week Paul Pierce has been the key to Boston’s recent string of wins, having scored 26 and 29 points against Houston and Dallas. Pierce has also been scoring efficiently; after shooting only 36% from the field in February, Pierce has shot 51.4% in March.
“Yeah,” Pierce said of whether he rushed back. “I was a little stubborn, since in the past I was able to play through it, and it really affected my play. It was a combination of everything. My knee, after all-star break I got it drained, and it took me a few weeks to get the strength back in that. Then I sprained my thumb. It was the little things that were happening to me.
I’m always motivated. This is a crucial time of year, trying to get some momentum and battling for playoff position. This is when you really want to start playing your best basketball.”
Most people believe that the Celtics are a serious threat to win the East when they’re healthy, and they may actually be getting healthy now. The Cavaliers and Magic are still the favorites to come out of the East, but don’t write off the Celtics as serious contenders just yet.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record