Mar 22, 2010, 3:10 PM EST
Shane Battier’s sprained knee is going to keep him out at least 10 days to two weeks.
That according to Jason Friedman, your official NBA.com beat reporter for the Rockets. So he’s probably not making this up. Battier sprained the knee in the game against the Knicks Sunday. Friedman adds that Jared Jeffries likely will get a bump in minutes to fill the hole left by Battier.
The Rockets are 4.5 games out of a playoff spot, and Rockets fans want to believe. They probably shouldn’t. Their only real hope is to catch a San Antonio team that is five games ahead of them but with a wicked schedule down the stretch. Still, five games with just 12 remaining takes the kind of collapse from the team above you that the Spurs just will not do.
Which is to say, in two weeks you may not want or need to rush Battier back.
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 6
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 16
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25