Mar 22, 2010, 3:10 PM EST
Shane Battier’s sprained knee is going to keep him out at least 10 days to two weeks.
That according to Jason Friedman, your official NBA.com beat reporter for the Rockets. So he’s probably not making this up. Battier sprained the knee in the game against the Knicks Sunday. Friedman adds that Jared Jeffries likely will get a bump in minutes to fill the hole left by Battier.
The Rockets are 4.5 games out of a playoff spot, and Rockets fans want to believe. They probably shouldn’t. Their only real hope is to catch a San Antonio team that is five games ahead of them but with a wicked schedule down the stretch. Still, five games with just 12 remaining takes the kind of collapse from the team above you that the Spurs just will not do.
Which is to say, in two weeks you may not want or need to rush Battier back.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 20
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8