Mar 22, 2010, 2:05 PM EST
Oklahoma State swingman James Anderson thinks he is ready for the NBA. Scouts pretty much agree.
According to the Oklahoman, there will be a news conference today on the campus in Stillwater where the announcement Anderson is leaving for the NBA will be made.
This is not a shock, Anderson could have gone pro after his sophomore campaign but stuck around for one more year. This season he was the veteran leader on a young team and scored more than 20 points a game in every Big 12 contest.
DraftExpress.com has Anderson going 20 in the NBA draft, and most projections have him near that, just a little outside the lottery. He is a 6’6″ swingman, a generally deep position in the NBA. But Anderson has skills. From the DraftExpress scouting report on him.
Anderson is clearly the centerpiece of the Cowboys’ offense, as they run him off a huge number of screens on virtually every possession in an attempt to get him open looks… Anderson’s shooting ability is simply outstanding, as he boasts excellent form, consistent mechanics, a quick release, and terrific range on his jump-shot. Despite shooting just 36% from beyond the arc this season (more an indication of the type of defenses that are thrown at him than anything), Anderson projects as a high-level NBA shooter any way you slice it when looking at the way he can put the ball in the net.
More than just a spot-up shooter, about a third of Anderson’s jumpers come off the dribble, of which he converts an excellent 43.4% according to Synergy Sports Technology. At 6-6, he needs very little space to get his shot off, as despite getting just average elevation on his jumper, he is able to fade away and create enough separation from his defender to get a good look, while still holding his mechanics steady.
The questions come at the defensive end — if he wants to stick in the NBA, if he wants to get steady minutes, he’s going to have to become a better defender. But that can be said about most players coming out of college, it’s a matter of desire and work.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 0
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 4
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)