Mar 22, 2010, 2:05 PM EDT
Oklahoma State swingman James Anderson thinks he is ready for the NBA. Scouts pretty much agree.
According to the Oklahoman, there will be a news conference today on the campus in Stillwater where the announcement Anderson is leaving for the NBA will be made.
This is not a shock, Anderson could have gone pro after his sophomore campaign but stuck around for one more year. This season he was the veteran leader on a young team and scored more than 20 points a game in every Big 12 contest.
DraftExpress.com has Anderson going 20 in the NBA draft, and most projections have him near that, just a little outside the lottery. He is a 6’6″ swingman, a generally deep position in the NBA. But Anderson has skills. From the DraftExpress scouting report on him.
Anderson is clearly the centerpiece of the Cowboys’ offense, as they run him off a huge number of screens on virtually every possession in an attempt to get him open looks… Anderson’s shooting ability is simply outstanding, as he boasts excellent form, consistent mechanics, a quick release, and terrific range on his jump-shot. Despite shooting just 36% from beyond the arc this season (more an indication of the type of defenses that are thrown at him than anything), Anderson projects as a high-level NBA shooter any way you slice it when looking at the way he can put the ball in the net.
More than just a spot-up shooter, about a third of Anderson’s jumpers come off the dribble, of which he converts an excellent 43.4% according to Synergy Sports Technology. At 6-6, he needs very little space to get his shot off, as despite getting just average elevation on his jumper, he is able to fade away and create enough separation from his defender to get a good look, while still holding his mechanics steady.
The questions come at the defensive end — if he wants to stick in the NBA, if he wants to get steady minutes, he’s going to have to become a better defender. But that can be said about most players coming out of college, it’s a matter of desire and work.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 0
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9