Mar 21, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
If you’re a fan of athletes handling their marketing well, you have to be impressed with how LeBron James has handled the questions surrounding his future this summer in the Free Agency Summer of Doom. Even if you’re absolutely convinced one way or the other on him leaving or staying, he’s done a fantastic job of keeping the question open while doing the things he should for his team and the Cavs fans.
He releases a series of shoes in Knicks colors.
He attends the Yankees championship parade.
He releases a film about his time in high school in Ohio.
He constantly, and firmly, refuses to comment on his future and free agency.
To that end, it’s interesting that in the latest from Brian Windhorst, Cavs beat writer extraordinaire, LeBron is quoted answering a rare question about the summer from an unnamed member of the press corps. The reporter asked why James won’t just say he’s happy in Cleveland (which would end the speculation), since he seems so happy with the Cavs, laughing and joking and being all silly and cute. His response? Not cute.
“At the end of the day, it is still a business,” James said. “This isn’t
high school basketball anymore. You have to do what is best for your
family and what is best for yourself. I’ve always said I love being in
Cleveland. But for me as a basketball player, no matter what happens, I
love to play the game. I play it with a joy and I love my teammates.”
The line about it being a business is nothing new, and the quote itself isn’t shocking. But it does paint a definitive picture of where James’ head is at. Those that think there’s no way the King could leave his kingdom need to pay hard attention to the “what is best for yourself” part. It’s up to teams with less to offer than the Cavs to make the case of why he should leave. But if they can make the case, he’ll listen.
From there, it’s money plus championships plus all the other million factors to consider.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28