Mar 21, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Zydrunas Ilgauskas comes home this week.
Using one of the most controversial loopholes in NBA dealings today, the Cavs traded Ilgauskas to Washington in return for Antawn Jamison. After being bought out by the Wizards, Ilgauaskas could have signed with any team outside the Cavs or waited till March 22nd. March 22nd is tomorrow, and Ilgauskas has declined all other offers.
Brian Windhorst of the Plain Dealer reports Ilgauskas hopes to rejoin the team before its road trip starting Tuesday, and play in his first game on Sunday against the Kings.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Cavs re-acclimate Z. You’d assume he’d start with Shaquille O’Neal still out with the thumb injury. But you also don’t want to rush Ilgauskas back, with the Eastern top seed all but wrapped up and Z coming off a long layoff.
One thing’s for certain. He should get quite an ovation his first game back in Cleveland.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 18
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 8
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 23