Mar 20, 2010, 2:52 AM EDT
The accounting of his injuries would make you think Tyreke Evans has taken up MMA fighting. And is not very good at it. From the twitter account of the Sacramento Bee’s Jason Jones:
Concussion, chipped tooth, gum laceration and x-ray to check for jaw fracture tomorrow morning for Evans.
Evans got elbowed in the mouth then his head hit the floor during a loose ball situation late in the fourth quarter of the Kings double overtime loss to the Bucks. He was on the Kings bench for a minute then went to the locker room with his mouth bleeding and did not return.
After the game it was said he would not travel with the team tomorrow to Los Angeles for a Sunday game against the Clippers. Beyond that nothing of his status is known, however if his jaw is broken he would almost certainly be done for the season.
Evans has emerged as the unquestioned leader of Kings and the front-runner for rookie of the year. He is averaging 20 points per game, handles the ball and sets up the offense, and if you prefer PER he leads the team in that as well at 18.5.
Can a guy lose Rookie of the Year with a late-season injury?
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 10
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14