Mar 20, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
The NBA world had one eye on next year’s rookies today and one eye on the probably Rookie of the Year this year. Last night we let you know about Tyreke Evans’ concussion and other head injuries sustained against the Bucks. There was rampant concern that the Kings were going to announce that Evans was out for the season with a broken jaw.
But Jimmy Spencer of NBA.com broke the news that X-Rays were negative and Evans will only miss a week with the concussion. A scary injury regardless but nothing Evans can’t bounce back from. It won’t be the last time Evans will face injury with his tough, fearless style, but still good news for the youngster. A bruised jaw (what he was diagnosed with) still hurts like hell, but a fracture would have sunk him for the year most likely.
Some would contend that the race for the Rookie of the Year has tightened with the improved play of Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings. But it’s hard to argue with Evans’ legendary-level numbers, or that any rookie means more to their team. I suppose we’ll find out this week with Evans recovering.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24