Mar 20, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
The NBA world had one eye on next year’s rookies today and one eye on the probably Rookie of the Year this year. Last night we let you know about Tyreke Evans’ concussion and other head injuries sustained against the Bucks. There was rampant concern that the Kings were going to announce that Evans was out for the season with a broken jaw.
But Jimmy Spencer of NBA.com broke the news that X-Rays were negative and Evans will only miss a week with the concussion. A scary injury regardless but nothing Evans can’t bounce back from. It won’t be the last time Evans will face injury with his tough, fearless style, but still good news for the youngster. A bruised jaw (what he was diagnosed with) still hurts like hell, but a fracture would have sunk him for the year most likely.
Some would contend that the race for the Rookie of the Year has tightened with the improved play of Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings. But it’s hard to argue with Evans’ legendary-level numbers, or that any rookie means more to their team. I suppose we’ll find out this week with Evans recovering.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37