Mar 20, 2010, 1:35 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:34 am: Phil Jackson didn’t sound optimistic about Bynum after the game. “We’re a little concerned. He’ll probably miss a little while.” No official word on how long he may miss until he is re-evaluated Saturday. There was no incident, Bynum was just running and felt a couple seconds of sharp pain which lessened to just a lot of pain. As if that is better.
Suddenly-the-center Pau Gasol’s reaction: “I don’t even want to think about it.”
12:23 am: Before the Lakers game, Phil Jackson talked at some length about how Andrew Bynum had stayed healthy this season. That some of it was luck, but that he also in recent months had really dedicated himself to strength and conditioning, and that was now paying off on the court.
And then he left two minutes into the third quarter with a strained left Achilles tendon.
He did not return to the game and will be re-evaluated on Saturday. The Lakers play again Sunday (Wizards) before heading out on a key five-game road trip.
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 1
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 1
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 10
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 11
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13