Mar 19, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT
After the way Villanova needed to come from behind to force overtime against 15-seed Robert Morris, and then barely escaped with a win, you can see why NBA teams are hot for Wildcat’s coach Jay Wright.
But that’s the rumor — and if you want rumors you go to Peter Vecsey and the New York Post.
“Sources say the 76ers approached him a summer or two ago, but advances were rejected. Guaranteed, they will come calling again, as well as intensify their interest, in mid-April immediately after Eddie Jordan is fired, a conclusion no longer in doubt, I’m assured by a Philadelphian with a strong pulse on everything 76er-related…
In the meantime, Wright additionally can expect to be romanced by the Nets. If Rod Thorn remains team president, as it appears he will when incoming majority owner Mikhail Prokhorov finally gets approval from the NBA’s Board of Governors, “look for Jay to be on the top of the list when he presents his suggestions.”
Coaching in the NBA is a completely different animal than coaching in college, and most coaches don’t make the adjustment. In college, it is all about the recruiting — your ability to draw top talent matters more than anything. You can develop and mold that talent, but John Calipari is a success because he gets the talent to come to him.
But in the NBA coaches have far less control over who makes up the roster. Plus the Xs and Os — the preparation — is far more detailed. In college the coach is the king of the program, in the pros star players carry more power than any coach not named Phil Jackson (and if Jerry Buss had to choose between Bryant and Jackson, the coach would lose again). The egos are larger and harder to manage. Most college coaches fail to make the adjustment.
If you were the Sixers or Knicks, do you want to trust your massive rebuilding projects — and in the case of the Nets opening in a new stadium — to an unproven coach at the NBA level? It might work, so long as the Nets don’t play Robert Morris.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful