Mar 19, 2010, 11:13 PM EDT
When the basketball gods are angry with you, they are without mercy. And the Knicks have really pissed them off.
David Lee, who starts as the Knicks center despite being an undersized power forward, was scratched just before the game because of tendonitis in his right knee. Eddy Curry wasn’t ready to play yet because he’s Eddy Curry.
So that meant Jonathan Bender got his first ever start in seven years at center. Somehow that offended the gods — after nine minutes of play Bender broke the ring finger on his left hand. He was done for the night.
The super-small-ball, zone-playing Knicks still won, 92-88. Because even the anger of the gods cannot match the Sixers current meltdown.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 26
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10