Mar 19, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo has been brushing off interest from colleges for years, saying he wanted to stay in the NBA and get a head-coaching job there.
Despite that, his name came up as a front-runner for the Oregon head-coaching job even before Ernie Kent was fired. Well, now Kent has been fired.
And according to Adrian Wojnarowsk at Yahoo (via his omnipotent twitter account), Carlesimo wants the gig.
P.J. Carlesimo has been telling NBA friends he wants Oregon job. He never wanted to leave NBA, but no choice if he wants to be a HC again.
There are not a lot of better college jobs than Oregon — high profile, nice place to live and the backing of Nike money through Phil Knight. They can have more uniforms than the Cleveland Cavaliers. And Carlesimo has had a lot of success at the college level.
Could be a good fit.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19