Mar 19, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo has been brushing off interest from colleges for years, saying he wanted to stay in the NBA and get a head-coaching job there.
Despite that, his name came up as a front-runner for the Oregon head-coaching job even before Ernie Kent was fired. Well, now Kent has been fired.
And according to Adrian Wojnarowsk at Yahoo (via his omnipotent twitter account), Carlesimo wants the gig.
P.J. Carlesimo has been telling NBA friends he wants Oregon job. He never wanted to leave NBA, but no choice if he wants to be a HC again.
There are not a lot of better college jobs than Oregon — high profile, nice place to live and the backing of Nike money through Phil Knight. They can have more uniforms than the Cleveland Cavaliers. And Carlesimo has had a lot of success at the college level.
Could be a good fit.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5