Mar 19, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo has been brushing off interest from colleges for years, saying he wanted to stay in the NBA and get a head-coaching job there.
Despite that, his name came up as a front-runner for the Oregon head-coaching job even before Ernie Kent was fired. Well, now Kent has been fired.
And according to Adrian Wojnarowsk at Yahoo (via his omnipotent twitter account), Carlesimo wants the gig.
P.J. Carlesimo has been telling NBA friends he wants Oregon job. He never wanted to leave NBA, but no choice if he wants to be a HC again.
There are not a lot of better college jobs than Oregon — high profile, nice place to live and the backing of Nike money through Phil Knight. They can have more uniforms than the Cleveland Cavaliers. And Carlesimo has had a lot of success at the college level.
Could be a good fit.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2