Mar 19, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo has been brushing off interest from colleges for years, saying he wanted to stay in the NBA and get a head-coaching job there.
Despite that, his name came up as a front-runner for the Oregon head-coaching job even before Ernie Kent was fired. Well, now Kent has been fired.
And according to Adrian Wojnarowsk at Yahoo (via his omnipotent twitter account), Carlesimo wants the gig.
P.J. Carlesimo has been telling NBA friends he wants Oregon job. He never wanted to leave NBA, but no choice if he wants to be a HC again.
There are not a lot of better college jobs than Oregon — high profile, nice place to live and the backing of Nike money through Phil Knight. They can have more uniforms than the Cleveland Cavaliers. And Carlesimo has had a lot of success at the college level.
Could be a good fit.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 0
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 29
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 38
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17