Mar 19, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
P.J. Carlesimo has been brushing off interest from colleges for years, saying he wanted to stay in the NBA and get a head-coaching job there.
Despite that, his name came up as a front-runner for the Oregon head-coaching job even before Ernie Kent was fired. Well, now Kent has been fired.
And according to Adrian Wojnarowsk at Yahoo (via his omnipotent twitter account), Carlesimo wants the gig.
P.J. Carlesimo has been telling NBA friends he wants Oregon job. He never wanted to leave NBA, but no choice if he wants to be a HC again.
There are not a lot of better college jobs than Oregon — high profile, nice place to live and the backing of Nike money through Phil Knight. They can have more uniforms than the Cleveland Cavaliers. And Carlesimo has had a lot of success at the college level.
Could be a good fit.
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 0
- DeMarcus Cousins wins. 7
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 9
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 21
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 6
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 4
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 24
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10