Mar 19, 2010, 10:32 AM EST
The Denver Nuggets are in an odd place. They’re championship contenders, but conditional ones; if they’re going to compete for a title, they need to be clicking and they need to be healthy. Kenyon Martin still has some more time on the shelf, but the Nuggets could take a big hop towards a full rotation sometime next week.
That’s when Ty Lawson hopes to return to the lineup for the Nuggets, and though nothing is set in stone, that’s terrific news for Denver.
Anthony Carter has seen a bump in minutes during Lawson’s absence, but all of the veteran savvy in the world can’t bless Carter with Lawson’s gifts. Ty’s unique combination of shooting, decision-making, and speed make him a crucial weapon for the Nuggets. No back-up point guard has more of a profound impact for a contending team, as Lawson not only manages to contribute playing either behind or alongside Chauncey Billups, but also is a change of pace threat as a one-man fast break.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 1
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 7
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11