Mar 19, 2010, 8:54 AM EST
One year ago this week was the best time in Tyler Hansbrough’s life. He was sitting on top of the college basketball world, leading a North Carolina Tar Heel team that would go on to win the NCAA Championship. He was a legend, a guy who will be mentioned along with Jordan and Perkins in North Carolina basketball lore.
This year, he sits around and plays a lot of video games while doctors try to figure out what is wrong, according to the Indianapolis Star. They can’t.
His latest problem — an inner ear infection and/or possible concussion — has kept him sidelined for most of the past two-plus months. The Pacers aren’t expecting him to return this season.
“It really is miserable for me to be dealing with this injury,” Hansbrough said recently. “I’ve never had an injury like this where it’s kept me out a long time. It’s something I’m trying to get over and get healthy.”
Hansbrough’s current diagnosis remains a mystery. The team has been calling it an inner ear infection since late December. Pacers coach Jim O’Brien said two weeks ago that it possibly could be a concussion, caused when Hansbrough took a hit in a game in Boston in late December.
Hansbrough played solidly in 29 games for the Pacers, coming off the bench. He was playing 17.6 minutes per game and giving Indiana about eight points and five rebounds. He was not blowing anybody away, but he was solid, especially for a rookie.
Now he’s playing solid ball on NBA2K10 and that’s about it. He hasn’t seen the court in 2010 and will not this season.
Now he will start over — likely Summer League then basically a second rookie season. He will not be an Indiana legend, but the second time around can’t be worst than the first/
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 4
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)