Mar 19, 2010, 12:59 PM EST
Alonzo Gee, who was tearing it up for the Austin Toros just over two weeks ago, is tearing it up for the Washington Wizards. As such, he’s earned his second 10-day contract from the Wiz, and could remain a fixture with the team beyond that if he continues to impress.
Gee exemplifies what has been a surprisingly fun Wizards team since they cleared house at the trade deadline. He’s not immensely talented (though he does pack plenty of upside), but he works hard, has the physical tools to be an NBA player, and does his job. He’s the type of player that can fill a hole in the rotation, and can produce in almost any given circumstance. Gee won’t be dropping 20 a game with the top dogs anytime soon, but his first career double-double on Tuesday (13 and 10 against the Nuggets) wasn’t a mirage.
Gee really does deserve a steady gig on the big stage, and his first 10 days in the NBA may have earned him just that. His performance is only the latest in a long line of victories for the D-League this season, and though Gee doesn’t yet have any kind of long-term NBA contract, he’s inching closer and closer to becoming part of the establishment.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13