Mar 19, 2010, 12:59 PM EST
Alonzo Gee, who was tearing it up for the Austin Toros just over two weeks ago, is tearing it up for the Washington Wizards. As such, he’s earned his second 10-day contract from the Wiz, and could remain a fixture with the team beyond that if he continues to impress.
Gee exemplifies what has been a surprisingly fun Wizards team since they cleared house at the trade deadline. He’s not immensely talented (though he does pack plenty of upside), but he works hard, has the physical tools to be an NBA player, and does his job. He’s the type of player that can fill a hole in the rotation, and can produce in almost any given circumstance. Gee won’t be dropping 20 a game with the top dogs anytime soon, but his first career double-double on Tuesday (13 and 10 against the Nuggets) wasn’t a mirage.
Gee really does deserve a steady gig on the big stage, and his first 10 days in the NBA may have earned him just that. His performance is only the latest in a long line of victories for the D-League this season, and though Gee doesn’t yet have any kind of long-term NBA contract, he’s inching closer and closer to becoming part of the establishment.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 0
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 7
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 7
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 8
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 41
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54