Mar 19, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
Alonzo Gee, who was tearing it up for the Austin Toros just over two weeks ago, is tearing it up for the Washington Wizards. As such, he’s earned his second 10-day contract from the Wiz, and could remain a fixture with the team beyond that if he continues to impress.
Gee exemplifies what has been a surprisingly fun Wizards team since they cleared house at the trade deadline. He’s not immensely talented (though he does pack plenty of upside), but he works hard, has the physical tools to be an NBA player, and does his job. He’s the type of player that can fill a hole in the rotation, and can produce in almost any given circumstance. Gee won’t be dropping 20 a game with the top dogs anytime soon, but his first career double-double on Tuesday (13 and 10 against the Nuggets) wasn’t a mirage.
Gee really does deserve a steady gig on the big stage, and his first 10 days in the NBA may have earned him just that. His performance is only the latest in a long line of victories for the D-League this season, and though Gee doesn’t yet have any kind of long-term NBA contract, he’s inching closer and closer to becoming part of the establishment.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 2
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 12
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4