Mar 19, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
Brook Lopez has a lot of reasons to be frustrated. I can think of 61 off the top of my head. Make that 62 when he thinks about his brother getting glorious feeds from Steve Nash.
The Nets have 14 games to win three, or they go down as the worst team in NBA history. Doesn’t sound like much, but on their season-long pace New Jersey would likely win one, maybe two. Not enough.
Lopez — the one Net having a good season, with a PER of 20.3, well above the league average — wants those wins. He is frustrated. And it is starting to boil over, according to Al Iannazzone at northjersey.com.
Lopez’s frustration has been obvious in games and in the locker room lately and it was apparent at practice today.
Lopez stormed off the court and was followed by assistant coach Roy Rogers, several players and a Nets’ security person. Lopez never returned.
“Teams have been a little bit more aware (of Lopez in the offense),” (Devin) Harris said. “He’s been more of the focal point of the offense. His catches aren’t as deep as they were earlier in the year. It’s probably both on myself and him – it’s kind of a partnership that way. We need to make more of a conscious effort that when he has deep position we need to give him the ball regardless of if he has an open shot or not. He’s our focal point in the paint. We need to first and foremost try to get him going and try and get the rest of the guys going.”
Brook shouldn’t be the only one frustrated — the entire team should have been storm-out-of-the-gym frustrated back in January. And done something about it then.
But you’ve got to be mature about it now. Outside of Kobe Bryant and maybe a couple other guys, people do not play better angry. They play out of control, take bad shots and commit bad fouls. You’ve got to get it under control, or you’re not going to get those three wins.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20