Mar 18, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
The Bulls lost Luol Deng last season late and a short-term injury wound up costing him the rest of the year. This year Deng suffered a much less severe injury, a strained calf, but is still having trouble getting back on the floor. The Bulls thought Deng might be back by Saturday, but after tweaking his leg Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune reports Deng could be out longer.
The Bulls can’t afford more lingering issues. They’ve been starting Acie Law (the IV, mind you), Chris Richard, and other weird replacement players in the midst of their epidemic of injuries.They’re still trying to make the playoffs to show potential free agents that they aren’t a complete mess, but without Deng, this could get tricky.
These leg muscle injuries can linger. You’ll remember KG having problems earlier in the season that were unrelated to his knee injuries.
Deng was the Bulls’ primary scorer when Derrick Rose was struggling earlier in the season. Without them, they have next to no scoring. Derrick Rose is the most important injury the Bulls have to deal with, but Deng’s may end up costing the Bulls the playoffs regardless.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte