Mar 18, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
The Bulls lost Luol Deng last season late and a short-term injury wound up costing him the rest of the year. This year Deng suffered a much less severe injury, a strained calf, but is still having trouble getting back on the floor. The Bulls thought Deng might be back by Saturday, but after tweaking his leg Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune reports Deng could be out longer.
The Bulls can’t afford more lingering issues. They’ve been starting Acie Law (the IV, mind you), Chris Richard, and other weird replacement players in the midst of their epidemic of injuries.They’re still trying to make the playoffs to show potential free agents that they aren’t a complete mess, but without Deng, this could get tricky.
These leg muscle injuries can linger. You’ll remember KG having problems earlier in the season that were unrelated to his knee injuries.
Deng was the Bulls’ primary scorer when Derrick Rose was struggling earlier in the season. Without them, they have next to no scoring. Derrick Rose is the most important injury the Bulls have to deal with, but Deng’s may end up costing the Bulls the playoffs regardless.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30