Lakers all kiss Kobe's a–

Mar 18, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for Bryant_game2.jpgKobe Bryant can dominate the ball and take the Lakers out of their offense. In other breaking news, the sun rises in the East and Kirstie Alley may have put on a few pounds.

So Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles asked the Lakers shooting coach Craig Hodges if anyone stands up to Kobe on this team, if anyone who tells him to start moving the ball and sharing.

“No,” Hodges says flatly when I ask him at one point in the first half if any players on the team stand up to Kobe Bryant and critique him if he does something detrimental to the team. On this occasion it was Bryant not sprinting back on defense after turning the ball over with a bad pass.

“Not one. They all kiss his a–.”

Welcome to the modern NBA locker room — nobody really stands up to LeBron James, and Hodges admits nobody on his Bulls stood up to Jordan. Nobody barks at the Alpha Dog. And Phil Jackson just lets everybody figure things out for themselves, learning lessons that stick better that way.

Lakers fans may not like the waiting, may not like the lack-of-urgency, but Hodges expouses what other coaches ad players say — the Lakers are bored with the season but they can flip the switch fast.

More so than confidence, Hodges thought that the Lakers were just a little bored with the season.

“There’s enough games left now to really feel the need to be ready for the playoffs and our energy is getting to that playoff mentality.”

This is a really great piece by McMenamin. Hodges is honest and expresses his love for Andrew Bynum and his frustration that the Lakers don’t run the triangle well this season. He talks about Tex Winter (who coached Hodges in college). About how long Bryant can play.

Just don’t expect any Kobe bashing. Hodges kisses his a– plenty, too.

1. MattC - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I love all the excuses Boston and LA are making about being “bored with the regular seaon.” It might be true to a certain extent, but any one who has played sports at a high level knows you can’t just piss around for 2 months and then decide to turn it on again… not even Kobe, not even LeBron, etc.

2. G_lish61 - Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

MattC is obviously not a Laker fan or lives in LA. This is what happens every year that the Lakers are in contention. If you’re a competitive runner you also know that you build up to the season and finish strong! That’s all the Lakers are doing.

3. Edward, Los Angeles, CA - Mar 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Hey MattC, Lakers are squandering this season like they did in the 2000-2001 season when they ended the season at 56-26 (Lakers are currently sitting a 50 wins with 14 games to go) and boy you’re right, did their mediocre regular season bite them in the a– in the playoffs (14-1, best playoff record ever percentage-wise).

4. Ya Know It - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Kobe likes to have his ass kissed. But he likes to rape the asses of young white girls.

5. Jen Sterling - Mar 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I’m white and I’d tongue Kobe’s ass (if he paid off my home mortgage).

6. Eddie A - Mar 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I thought he was absolved of the accussation, when you say young white girls, you mean there were more than one girl? if that is the case were you one of the white girls that you mentioned?

7. KobesNeyeG - Mar 18, 2010 at 3:52 PM

LOL
    “any one who has played sports at a high level knows”
    MattC must be the backup quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys then.
    Craig Hodges is a G, from his Dashiki down to his shoes.

8. snpflr - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Oh what a surprise. Another Kobe bashing comment made by one of the greatest former NBA players of all time “Craig the -I swam in MJ’s wake-” Hodges. lol We old timers remember what an incredibly talented player Hodges was for the Bulls! So much athletic ability to stand alone unguarded and hoist up 3-balls while Jordan drew double and triple teams! Doubt the Bulls dynasty could have existed with that great All-Everything NBA star Craig Hodges right? Give me a break! Move on to something newsworthy already or at least report something interesting and unknown!

9. GUNS527 - Mar 18, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Jen…………you are a BIMBO! To even mention something like that, even in jest, is absolutely disgusting.

10. Kobe - Mar 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Jen, call me.

11. Greg - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Just don’t expect any Kobe bashing. Hodges kisses his a– plenty, too.
    I don’t know about Kobe, but I have heard of Craig checking Michael Jordan back in the day when he played with him. If I remember correctly, he implied he was an Uncle Tom for not speaking up on something. I think Michael even agreed with him. Plus, I do remember in the book Jordan Rules that he confronted Michael on calling the bench players scrubs. I think Michael back down with him that time too if my memory serves me right.

12. Amish - Mar 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

It’s so amazing that people would kiss is a– just because he’s the heart and soul of the team; they should fire him for being so good!
    We all know that athletes are not elevated to royalty status in this country, so I can’t understand why leading one of the most successful teams in the history of organized sports should make one little man act as if he was more important than anyone else on the team.
    The Lakers don’t pay him all that money to win through any legal means necessary. Or do they?

13. Twister - Mar 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Yup, I agree with Jen, always thought the Colorado thing was from raping the back end of her.

14. BigSwank - Mar 19, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Or maybe she (ya know it)always fantasied being raped by a black man like Kobe..

15. Vince P. - Mar 19, 2010 at 2:14 AM

I was talking to my son the other day about ballers who are “FEATURED” and it is 100% wrong… it is the LAKERS and Kobe is the star or leader… I hate it when everyone, from the media, the fans, and everyone in between put a PLAYER before the TEAM! If I was a player on the Lakers I would make history by being the first player in the history of the NBA to be kicked out of a game and suspended for fighting my own teammate! Basketball is a team game, not “one-on-one”! And, if David Stern does not be careful with his “MARKETING” of PLAYERS and not “TEAMS” he will mess the league up! It wasn’t too long ago when the NBA Finals were on tape review after the 11 p.m. news and the arenas were empty and ratings in the garbage! And, it took TWO SUPERSTARS (Magic and Bird) who had the energy, passion and skills to bring the league back from death with TEAM PLAY! It is amazing to see stats like I saw last night (Players with 25+ points, 12+ rebounds and assists – Magic and Bird still have the most with Lebron (another spoiled baller) and MJ (the king of the spoiled baller) far behind). Oh well, what do I know?

16. kenisda1 - Mar 19, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I’ve never bought a jersey with someone else’s name on the back…..but the one’s that sell have their favorite big headed superstar on it. It’s a desire to identify with a winner.
    People don’t buy laker gear to be seen as Luke, Sasha or Adam?
    People don’t buy celtics gear to be seen as Scalabrine or Perkins? Simarily, nobody bought that celtics t-shirt because Rick Robey was the apart of the team back in 1980…..no people bought leader Larry Bird.

17. bobdevo - Mar 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

It may be true no one “stands up to Kobe”, because Kobe is a narcissist who thinks he makes 90% on game ending shots and will get his revenge on anyone who crosses him (e.g. bye-bye Shaq).
    “No one stands up to LeBron” is horse manure, for a couple of reasons:
    1. LeBron is a team player; and
    2. Mike Brown yelled at LeBron publicly the other night in a team huddle, and LeBron came out of break like a scalded cat and destroyed the oppostion. Kobe would’ve sulked for a week.

18. bobdevo - Mar 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Absolved? The criminal charges were dropped when the alleged victim didn’t want to testify, a decision she made after Kobe dropped a couple of three million dollars on her to keep his butt outa jail.

19. reddgirl - Mar 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM

According to my bro, you don’t have to rape a white girl, just give them another beer, and say you love them!!
    Easiest piece of ass ever!
    Look if you want to talk sports, then do so, other than that, I’ll talk society with you on another site!

20. twister - Mar 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I always heard redheads with the easy ones.

21. Wizard of Ozola - Mar 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM

WHY DON’T YOU’LL SMOKE SOME SPLIFF AND MELLOW OUT. WILT THE SILT WAS PULLING RANK BACK IN THE DAY(1960s) SO THIS STUFF AIN’T NOTHING NEW. PHIL’S PROBLEM IS WHICH KOBE SHOWS UP IN FINALS, BAD KOBE AS IN THE DETROIT SERIES OR GOOD KOBE AS IN LAST YEAR.NO SURPRISE THE SPURS WITH BOWEN AND BOYS FOUND A WAY TO RIDE KOBE’S SELF INDULGENCE INTO A LAKER DEFEAT MOST OF THE LAST 10 YEARS. SO WORD TO THE HOOD, I PAY GOOD $$ TO SEE AREST TAKE ON KOBE IN THE LOCKER ROOM NEXT TIME KOBE YELPS AT HIM ABOUT SOME 3 RONNIE THROWS UP FROM THE SAN ANDREA FAULT LINE. LAMAR CAN TELL RON ABOUT KOBE’S YELLOW STREAK WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO A BIGGER MAN THREATING TO TAKE HIS HEAD OFF.

22. milly - Mar 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

KOBE,KOBE,KOBE Im so sick of hearing about him. He is not the only player on that team or any other NBA team.. Their are plenty of other GREAT players why does the media have to focus on just one player.. Other players should give him a piece of their mind maybe he wouldn’t be such a smart ass all the time.

23. AFDB - Mar 22, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Yes, when I watch the lakers play all I see is a MJ(wantabe) that is all kobe is. The other players are so afraid of kobe that they don’t play their game. They need to man up and give kobe some of his own medicine (cause his time is wraping up in the NBA)

24. You Oughta Know - Mar 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I take it that is the only way you get guys to be with you???? Reddgirl puttin’ out!

25. jarhead - Mar 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

GUESS WHAT??? LEBRON IS GOING TO BE A LAKER SOON~!~!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches