Mar 17, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
No sane basketball fan, shivering under a jacket and three-layers of clothes in the Northeast this winter, thought to themselves: I know Dwyane Wade wants to give up living in Miami to move here.
Sorry New Yorkers, but Miami is warm in the winter. The people are beautiful. There are no state income taxes… and why am I don’t Wade’s job for him?
Wade told the Miami Herald he plans to be the biggest pitchman for the Heat this summer, to get other top free agents to come to him.
Dwyane Wade said Monday he plans to talk to several free-agent friends after the season about their plans (LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire) and encourage them to sign with Miami if he stays. Miami has room for two maximum contracts — including Wade — with another $5 million or so left. Wade has expressed a preference to stay, and owner Micky Arison put the odds at 95 percent, but he won’t handicap it: “I’m not a percentage guy. I have a lot of things to think about.”
Stoudemire is an interesting one. He can opt out of his deal for next year and be a free agent, or he can push the Suns to trade him with the threat of the opt-out. This likely would be a trade-and-extend where his contract gets a couple more years on the back end (what Boston did when it traded for Kevin Garnett).
It is likely this is what the Suns and Heat talked about at the trading deadline, but couldn’t get a deal done in time. This summer, that time crunch pressure to make a deal happen goes away. Just some food for thought.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61