Mar 16, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
It has just been assumed that at the end of the season, Joe Johnson would be moving on from Atlanta. He is going to get a big contract from some general manager trying to save face after they miss out on LeBron/Wade/Bosh, and Atlanta was going to let him walk at that price.
But Johnson told the Sporting News he’s not eager to go.
“I can’t do anything but let all of that play out,” Johnson told Sporting News. “I don’t know what is going to happen in the future, but I love my teammates and I love my team and hopefully it all works out where I am in Atlanta for a long time.”
Players are well trained by their agents to say how much they want to stay where they are, how they love the fans and their teammates, how they can’t imagine moving on. It’s part of the dance.
But what if Johnson did stay? What if Atlanta was able to lock him up at a fair price? The Hawks have built something pretty good, certainly fun to watch, and Johnson is at the heart of it. Keeping him around would certainly be good for the ATL, at least for the next couple years. (If some team offers Johnson a five-year deal they will regret it by the end, when age will have caught up with him.)
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 11
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 19
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy