Mar 16, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
We all love the NCAA tournament, but as NBA fans we watch it with a different eye — who is going to be coming out of this showcase and on to the NBA. This is part of a series looking at future NBA players you should watch this weekend.
Here’s what you need to know about Aubrey Coleman — he led the NCAA is scoring at 25.6 points per game.
He is why Houston is in the NCAA Tournament. And if you can score that much scouts want to see you.
Coleman takes a whopping 34% of his team’s shots when he is on the floor, and while he has not been a terribly efficient scorer you can’t expect him to be when he has to create everything. That also explains his relatively high number of turnover.
So is he legit? DraftExpress has him going in the second round and the site’s Assistant Director of Scouting Joe Treutlein gave us some exclusive comments on Coleman:
“Aubrey Coleman is one of the most productive scorers in college, but he probably helped his draft stock most by doing all the little things during Houston’s C-USA Tourney run. While Coleman isn’t the most efficient scorer due to the way Houston’s offense relies on him, the success of Marcus Thornton with New Orleans this season, another undersized 2 with similar scoring instincts, should make teams thinks twice before passing on Coleman in the second round.”
Right now, every team wants a Marcus Thornton, so this is a guy worth watching, especially against a good Maryland defense Friday night in Spokane.
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 5
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?