Mar 16, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
We all love the NCAA tournament, but as NBA fans we watch it with a different eye — who is going to be coming out of this showcase and on to the NBA. This is the first of a series of posts over the next couple of days highlighting players to watch.
Plenty of casual fans filling out their brackets — after being confused about not being able to find North Carolina on it anywhere — couldn’t figure out how Baylor got to be a three seed. Baylor? What have they got?
What they have is one of the best offenses in college basketball this season — 119.6 points per 100 possessions, fifth best in the nation. They can score, as poor Sam Houston State will find out. But it is not Baylor’s scoring leader — LaceDarius Dunn — that NBA scouts are watching.
It is junior center Ekpe Udoh, the 6’10” Baylor center who translates to a power forward at the NBA level. The online draft bible DraftExpress has him going at the end of the lottery (currently 13 in their mock draft).
For more info on Udoh, we went to the source for some exclusive comments to ProBasketballTalk — Draft Express’ Assistant Director of Scouting Joe Treutlein (a guy NBA teams should be scouting themselves):
“Ekpe Udoh is one of the more interesting guys in the draft this year, mainly because after sitting out a year transferring from Michigan to Baylor, he’s completely reinvented his game, making leaps and bounds as a player. He has a nice arsenal of moves in both back-to-the-basket and face-up situations, while showing a pretty good feel for the game as well. His learning curve is the most intriguing part about him, though, given the strides he’s made in the last two years.”
This game may not be that entertaining — Sam Houston State plays pretty good defense but will not slow Baylor much. And they have nobody who can physically match up with Udoh. But as Baylor advances, it will be interesting to see what Udoh does against other top bigs in the tournament.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4