Mar 15, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
It is as big a March tradition as picking Murray State to win in the first round of the Big Dance only to be let down — NBA teams tanking for more lottery ping pong balls.
And the Philadelphia 76ers are just 2 and 8 in their last 10, so they must be tanking, right? No, apparently they just really suck that much. And will admit that to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“It’s impossible,” (Rodney Carney) said. “You get out there, your natural instincts are to try to compete to win the game. Rather than, ‘Oh, I’ll miss this shot.’ No way.”
Carney added: “You hear about it, but you don’t want to do it. We want to win every game we can, regardless of some higher draft pick we could get. We don’t worry about that, and we don’t want to think about it, either.”
Rodney, my man, it is not impossible. All a team needs to do is play the raw rookies more — “we’re just trying to see what we have with them” — and make sure players who have started setting tee times for the summer get key minutes. Happens all the time. Occasionally it’s even more blatant than that. Trust us it happens.
How much this year, when the Nets have the most ping-pong balls locked up? Hard to say. But it’s nice that the Sixers don’t have to worry about that. They are just so flat out bad when then do try that is enough.
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 0
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (95)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'