Mar 15, 2010, 10:41 AM EDT
To have a season crash and burn as badly as Indiana’s has recently, you have to have some creativity. You can’t just have a players that don’t mesh with the system or the usual rash of knee and ankle injuries. You have to do better than that.
Mike Dunleavy knows this, so he got creative.
Swingman Mike Dunleavy was a last-minute scratch from the lineup against the Milwaukee Bucks after he suffered a right eye contusion when he was hit by a ball during pregame warm-ups Sunday.
“I went in for a layup and somebody shot the ball and it came off the rim right into my eye,” said Dunleavy, who looked like he had been in a fight after the game.
It doesn’t look to be a serious injury, but more tests are being run because that’s what doctors do.
Dunleavy’s plan worked – the Pacers fell behind big to the hot Bucks but battled back hard. Only to fall just a little — four points — short. Like they were a player short.
The still employed member of the Dunleavy clan is not the only one trying — T.J. Ford injured his groin on a 24-second violation and will be out at least a week. Really, this is just a team effort from the Pacers.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 37
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?