Mar 15, 2010, 8:34 AM EST
He smacked it then grabbed it, yes. Boston’s Glen Davis was no baby about owning up grabbing and pulling on Shaquille O’Neal’s thumb, something that led to surgery and is keeping The Big Whatever He Is This Week on the shelf until about the playoffs.
Sunday Davis tried to plead the case down to thumb-slauter — he didn’t know it was injured. It was unintentional He would never try to really hurt Shaq.
“But I wouldn’t dare to anything like that,” he said.
Davis said he didn’t know O’Neal’s thumb had been injured.
“He made no indication his thumb was hurting,” Davis said. “I was just playing basketball. Trying to be a defensive agitator, meaning just messing with him. But I never thought in my mind that his thumb was hurting.”
That pretty much falls in line with the traditional NBA code of play hard but don’t try to take away a guy’s livelihood. You don’t injure intentionally.
While some Cleveland fans have not let it go, Shaq has. He talked to fellow LSU alum Roberts and O’Neal — who will talk about nearly everything — has not said a word about the injury. Nor have the Cavaliers. Davis is a big body banging people around (just ask Anderson Varejao), and sometimes people get hurt.
Besides, the move cost the Celtics the game — they were ahead with the Cavaliers trying to match Boston’s size. Without Shaq, Cleveland went small and ran the Celtics out of the building. Cleveland handled Boston again on Sunday. In the NBA, that may be punishment enough.
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46