Mar 15, 2010, 7:26 PM EDT
Hornets rookie point guard Darren Collison has come on strong in the last two months, to say the least. Collison averaged 21.6 points per game and 8.3 assists per game during the month of February, and is currently averaging 16.1 points per game and 11.4 assists per game in March. Unfortunately for him, Collison probably burst onto the scene too late to take the Rookie of The Year trophy from prohibitive favorites Tyreke Evans and Stephen Curry.
“I definitely think I’m the fastest player. I got a chance to watch Ty Lawson’s game and he is probably up there. I’d definitely say I’m the fastest.”
Speed with the ball is a whole different animal than speed without it, but just for kicks, Collison did edge Lawson by two hundredths of a second in the three-quarter court speed drill at the NBA combine, and Collison beat Lawson by a full half second in the agility drill. It’s almost impossible to know which of the two ultra-quick point guards is actually faster in actual game situations; all we can know for sure is that both of them are too quick for just about any opposing defender to stay in front of.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6