Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
Toronto plays no defense. That is what gets them beat. That is why they have lost five straight games and have fallen to eighth in the East (and would be out entirely if not for the Bulls recent play).
Wanted that to be clear so one person isn’t blamed for the woes. But Jarret Jack isn’t helping matters. And that is a more fixable problem short term — which is why he may be about to lose his starting job. Jose Calderon has been out playing him — Jack had seven points against Golden State, Calderon came off the bench and put up 24. Calderon also had two more points and two more assists than Jack in the loss to Portland.
The bigger number — Jack has played 38 minutes the last two games, Calderon 63. Calderon started the third quarter against Portland. That shows you who the coaching staff really likes. Well, that and their words.
“I thought Jose was playing pretty darn well,” said (Toronto head coach Jay) Triano. “I thought we had a good rhythm with that group so I just rolled with it. When he was on the floor, I thought we were playing pretty darn good.”
Beat writer Doug Smith thinks the switch will happen Wednesday, when Toronto faces Atlanta. (Tough team to turn it around against.)
The Raptors need to do something. Right now their soon-to-be-free-agent superstar is pissed off — and there can be no bigger problem for the Raptors. Chris Bosh is a rare talent and if he leaves, the Raptors really have to rebuild from the ground up again. They need a few wins to change the mood, plus you don’t want the eighth seed in the East and to get a hot Cleveland team in the first round. Although, that may be better than slipping out of the playoffs all together.
Triano needs to make changes, and it is too late for this season’s defense. But point guard is a change you can make. So fantasy fans, plug in Calderon for a few games and hope he can help score Toronto to a couple wins, Just don’t expect any defense.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9