Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
Toronto plays no defense. That is what gets them beat. That is why they have lost five straight games and have fallen to eighth in the East (and would be out entirely if not for the Bulls recent play).
Wanted that to be clear so one person isn’t blamed for the woes. But Jarret Jack isn’t helping matters. And that is a more fixable problem short term — which is why he may be about to lose his starting job. Jose Calderon has been out playing him — Jack had seven points against Golden State, Calderon came off the bench and put up 24. Calderon also had two more points and two more assists than Jack in the loss to Portland.
The bigger number — Jack has played 38 minutes the last two games, Calderon 63. Calderon started the third quarter against Portland. That shows you who the coaching staff really likes. Well, that and their words.
“I thought Jose was playing pretty darn well,” said (Toronto head coach Jay) Triano. “I thought we had a good rhythm with that group so I just rolled with it. When he was on the floor, I thought we were playing pretty darn good.”
Beat writer Doug Smith thinks the switch will happen Wednesday, when Toronto faces Atlanta. (Tough team to turn it around against.)
The Raptors need to do something. Right now their soon-to-be-free-agent superstar is pissed off — and there can be no bigger problem for the Raptors. Chris Bosh is a rare talent and if he leaves, the Raptors really have to rebuild from the ground up again. They need a few wins to change the mood, plus you don’t want the eighth seed in the East and to get a hot Cleveland team in the first round. Although, that may be better than slipping out of the playoffs all together.
Triano needs to make changes, and it is too late for this season’s defense. But point guard is a change you can make. So fantasy fans, plug in Calderon for a few games and hope he can help score Toronto to a couple wins, Just don’t expect any defense.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37