Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 PM EST
Toronto plays no defense. That is what gets them beat. That is why they have lost five straight games and have fallen to eighth in the East (and would be out entirely if not for the Bulls recent play).
Wanted that to be clear so one person isn’t blamed for the woes. But Jarret Jack isn’t helping matters. And that is a more fixable problem short term — which is why he may be about to lose his starting job. Jose Calderon has been out playing him — Jack had seven points against Golden State, Calderon came off the bench and put up 24. Calderon also had two more points and two more assists than Jack in the loss to Portland.
The bigger number — Jack has played 38 minutes the last two games, Calderon 63. Calderon started the third quarter against Portland. That shows you who the coaching staff really likes. Well, that and their words.
“I thought Jose was playing pretty darn well,” said (Toronto head coach Jay) Triano. “I thought we had a good rhythm with that group so I just rolled with it. When he was on the floor, I thought we were playing pretty darn good.”
Beat writer Doug Smith thinks the switch will happen Wednesday, when Toronto faces Atlanta. (Tough team to turn it around against.)
The Raptors need to do something. Right now their soon-to-be-free-agent superstar is pissed off — and there can be no bigger problem for the Raptors. Chris Bosh is a rare talent and if he leaves, the Raptors really have to rebuild from the ground up again. They need a few wins to change the mood, plus you don’t want the eighth seed in the East and to get a hot Cleveland team in the first round. Although, that may be better than slipping out of the playoffs all together.
Triano needs to make changes, and it is too late for this season’s defense. But point guard is a change you can make. So fantasy fans, plug in Calderon for a few games and hope he can help score Toronto to a couple wins, Just don’t expect any defense.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11