Mar 15, 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
Coming clean is the first step. In an interview with Esquire Magazine — hitting the newsstands next week — Gilbert Arenas comes off as genuinely remorseful for the gun “prank” that led to him being suspended for the remainder of the season.
Associated Press got a hold of the interview:
Arenas says he has “messed up” the legacy of Wizards owner Abe Pollin, who died in November.
“I have a painting of him in my garage. I just walk by it with my head down,” Arenas said. “I called Mrs. Pollin and said, ‘If Abe was still with us, I would’ve had to talk to him, so I’m gonna give you the same respect. I want to say sorry to you. I deserve to be punished. I’ll do everything it takes to get back your husband’s respect.”‘
Arenas didn’t harm Pollin’s legacy, he harmed his own. He brought an NBA gun into a locker room, prank or not, over a gambling debt. Bad form. But a genuine, detailed interview where he answers questions and talks honestly is the first step in repairing that legacy. (Tiger Woods, are you taking notes?)
Arenas was all kinds of honest in this interview. He said he has a World War I gun collection and used to have nearly 500 guns in his home, but since he had children he cut that back to four.
Also, he and fellow “prankster” Javaris Crittenton are all good now.
“He goes into the Jacuzzi,” Arenas told the magazine. “You know what? I gotta warm my knee up anyway. I go in and sit with him. We’re just sitting in there talking. We didn’t have no problem. It was just some fun that got out of control.”
That’s the first of many relationships to be mended.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 1
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings