Mar 14, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
Rob Peterson at FanHouse has been following the worst team in the league as they seek to avoid being the worst team in history. Today he checks in with a piece on the general attitude of the Nets. The summary? The Nets don’t want you to pity them. Empathize, understand, but they are not feeling sorry for themselves.
The story also does a great job of showcasing how the Nets are keeping things in perspective. I often hear fans making jokes about the Nets, as if they really were the worst team in NBA history. But if you watch the games really watch them, you know that’s not true. They’re still out there competing, often making long runs in the second half of games. They’ll play with fire and intensity and crispness… and then it all falls apart. Terrible teams? Truly terrible teams? Look outmatched in 10 of 12 quarters.
They also feature real talent. Their best players are not marginal role players on contending squads. Devin Harris is feeling like himself finally, and Brook Lopez impresses anyone who watches him. With multiple draft picks, the Nets have a bright future, but they also have a foundation of players to build upon.
It’s hard to argue against the win-loss record, but if you’ve tracked them, from the nail-biters against Miami and others to the games where they’ve let leads slip because of inexperience, you’ll know that they aren’t deserving of your pity, and eventually there will be brighter times for this franchise, even if they are in Brooklyn.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 9
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 12
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 20
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 7
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18