Mar 14, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Raptors lost to the Warriors last night, and are now just 2-8 in their last 10. They’ve been a bad defensive team all season, but last night really showed the totality of their futility lately. They’re playing like the incomplete, mediocre team they were early in the season, rather than the red-hot team that was contending for the fifth seed a month ago.
And after the game, Chris Bosh was, in the words of the Toronto Star’s Doug Smith, seething. Smith relates a litany of quotes from Bosh that tell the story of a star player extremely frustrated with his team’s effort, just four months from being a free agent. Here’s a choice one:
“We come out here, we talk about it, we have a billion meetings but
we can talk all we want. Unless we do it, it really doesn’t matter. We
talk about the third quarter, we talked about the third quarter
(Friday), we talked about it at shootaround (Saturday) and we go out and
do the same thing. I don’t know.”
The Raps are now just a game and a half ahead of the Bulls, who are an abject mess right now. The Raptors had been one of the hottest teams in February, clicking in every phase of the game. Then Chris Bosh missed some time with an injury, and the team never recovered. As built, they are simply an incomplete team.
Bosh is a fantastic player, but not so good as to recover when his teammates struggle, and his teammates struggle continuously. Most notably, Hedo Turkoglu has been terrible this season, and the money the Raps spent to acquire Turkoglu looks like the worst expense of last summer’s free agency.
All of those factors are leading more and more to the possibility that they won’t have the same opportunity to keep their big free agent this summer. This is a bad time to be pissing off the franchise.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 0
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 2
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37