Mar 14, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
The Celtics have not had a smashing month. They’ve bullied, beaten, out-ran and bludgeoned. They’ve seemed lifeless, shiftless, bored, and anything but a title contender. They lost to the Nets, for crying out loud. Wednesday, the Memphis Grizzlies, who haven’t been playing great lately, absolutely blasted the Celtics like they were a D-League squad.
So even after Friday night’s laugher over the hapless Pacers, coach Doc Rivers felt the need to employ some motivational tactics. The Boston Herald tells of how Rivers brought in some bulletin board material, picked out an especially damning story, and read it to the players. The story told of a team that found itself falling from contention, looking up at the Cavaliers, and who had been embarrassed on their own floor. The gag?
The story was from the L.A. Times, and was about the Lakers.
It’s interesting that Rivers is still trying motivational tactics for the regular season, as later in the story he says he’s going to rest Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in games down the stretch. but the Celtics have been struggling so much, their mindset has to start shifting from coasting to contention. At least this story might give them some peace of mind that everybody has some misery in the regular season.
But the Celtics have to hope their misery is done for the season, and that’s something their own effort controls.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 11
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43