Mar 13, 2010, 1:00 AM EDT
Rafer Alson is going through a personal problem involving his twin sister. He was focused on being there for her. Unfortunately, he failed to contact the Heat upon his departure from the team, leading to an indefinite suspension. Once media reports surfaced regarding the nature of his leave of absence, Rafer spoke to the media and outlined regret over the circumstances of his departure.
However, per Pat Riley in a statement to the media Friday night, Alston never did contact the Heat, which has led them to suspend him the rest of the season.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family during this time,
but we are at the point where we must move forward with the rest of the
season during our playoff push,” Riley said.
This may be the end of Alston’s career, a rocky one at best, but one that definitely had its high moments. Sometimes, there are just more important things going on.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4