Mar 13, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
The reality of George Karl’s condition and treatment is harsh and unpleasant. Such is the case with cancer, which you likely know as cancer has touched almost all of us in one way or another.
The NBA has released a statement informing us that Karl will miss the Nuggets’ next three games, adjusting to a feeding tube he’s had placed in his stomach, while also undergoing radiation and chemotherapy.
The Nuggets season is in such a delicate position. Kenyon Martin is trying to recover from a knee injury. Carmelo Anthony is finally healthy. J.R. Smith seems to be moving past his seemingly yearly problems with coaches and management. And the team will be coping with the changes their coach will be going through while trying to steel themselves to mount the impossible Mount Western Conference.
But all of this is secondary to the real threats to Karl’s health. Sports provides such an escape for us from the harsh realities of life, but things like this only seem to bring us closer to the fragility of our own existence.
So, yeah, Nuggets play Grizzlies tonight.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?