Mar 13, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
The Hornets have bravely been carrying on the fight for a playoff birth without Chris Paul. Paul had knee surgery on February 4th, and since then it has been the Darren Collison show. Collison’ done a fantastic job in his stead, racking up points and assists. But there’s still some level of leadership missing that the rookie can’t provide, a spark that only Paul can give.
Good news, Hornets fans. Paul’s getting closer to returning to the floor. From the New Orleans Times Picayune:
Three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul was medically cleared Friday
to begin running, and he could be a week to 10 days from returning to
the New Orleans Hornets’
Paul returning to the lineup would of course be a huge boost, he’s their best overall player. But given the play of Collison, you have to wonder if Paul’s going to be able to make enough of an impact in the seven game gap the Hornets face between them and the playoffs?
The Hornets face an uncertain offseason. Should they hold on to Darren Collison, or trade him at the height of his trade value, since point guard is not an area of need? Who will be the next head coach, or will Jeff Bower keep all the power? Can the Hornets make a significant improvement that might make Chris Paul feel better about his long-term future there?
A lot of questions, but getting Paul back will at least mean the team will be playing at full strength. But given the season they’ve had and where they are in the playoff race, it might be better for them to shut him down for the season.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games