Mar 13, 2010, 9:26 AM EST
The Hornets have bravely been carrying on the fight for a playoff birth without Chris Paul. Paul had knee surgery on February 4th, and since then it has been the Darren Collison show. Collison’ done a fantastic job in his stead, racking up points and assists. But there’s still some level of leadership missing that the rookie can’t provide, a spark that only Paul can give.
Good news, Hornets fans. Paul’s getting closer to returning to the floor. From the New Orleans Times Picayune:
Three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul was medically cleared Friday
to begin running, and he could be a week to 10 days from returning to
the New Orleans Hornets’
Paul returning to the lineup would of course be a huge boost, he’s their best overall player. But given the play of Collison, you have to wonder if Paul’s going to be able to make enough of an impact in the seven game gap the Hornets face between them and the playoffs?
The Hornets face an uncertain offseason. Should they hold on to Darren Collison, or trade him at the height of his trade value, since point guard is not an area of need? Who will be the next head coach, or will Jeff Bower keep all the power? Can the Hornets make a significant improvement that might make Chris Paul feel better about his long-term future there?
A lot of questions, but getting Paul back will at least mean the team will be playing at full strength. But given the season they’ve had and where they are in the playoff race, it might be better for them to shut him down for the season.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 1
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)