Mar 13, 2010, 9:26 AM EST
The Hornets have bravely been carrying on the fight for a playoff birth without Chris Paul. Paul had knee surgery on February 4th, and since then it has been the Darren Collison show. Collison’ done a fantastic job in his stead, racking up points and assists. But there’s still some level of leadership missing that the rookie can’t provide, a spark that only Paul can give.
Good news, Hornets fans. Paul’s getting closer to returning to the floor. From the New Orleans Times Picayune:
Three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul was medically cleared Friday
to begin running, and he could be a week to 10 days from returning to
the New Orleans Hornets’
Paul returning to the lineup would of course be a huge boost, he’s their best overall player. But given the play of Collison, you have to wonder if Paul’s going to be able to make enough of an impact in the seven game gap the Hornets face between them and the playoffs?
The Hornets face an uncertain offseason. Should they hold on to Darren Collison, or trade him at the height of his trade value, since point guard is not an area of need? Who will be the next head coach, or will Jeff Bower keep all the power? Can the Hornets make a significant improvement that might make Chris Paul feel better about his long-term future there?
A lot of questions, but getting Paul back will at least mean the team will be playing at full strength. But given the season they’ve had and where they are in the playoff race, it might be better for them to shut him down for the season.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 0
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 1
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 42
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45