Mar 12, 2010, 8:15 PM EST
The Orlando Sentinel has a small piece today talking about the spectacular play of the Orlando Magic as of late. They’ve been dominant, beating great teams and annihilating bad ones. They’ve been consistent, efficient, and productive. They’re firing on all cylinders.
In news that should stun absolutely no one, Stan Van Gundy is less than rosy with his outlook.
The season just keeps going,” Stan Van Gundy said. “Any time you
think, ‘we’re there, we’ve turned a corner’ or whatever you find out
that you’re not.”
Oh, SVG. You would find the darkness in a sunny day.
But his point is well made. The Magic rose to title contention last year by feasting on teams that peaked at the wrong times. The Celtics were dominant in the first half of the season, before injuries did to them late what hubris has done to them this year. The Cavs peaked in dominating the first two rounds to a degree they were unprepared for an onslaught from a tough opponent. The Magic lost to the Lakers, who really only hit their stride mid-way through the Western Conference Finals, but who never looked back after that.
The Magic are rolling right now, the Lakers and Celtics struggling. But these teams need to be cognizant of what peaking too soon can do, as well as failing to ramp back up in time. A championship takes a lot of things: determination, heart, talent, defense, a superstar. It also takes timing. The Magic need to not settle with what they’ve got in March if they want their best in June.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)