Mar 12, 2010, 8:36 AM EDT
It’s one of David Stern’s private messages to NBA owners — don’t do anything that ends you up on TMZ.com.
The Pacers owner Herb Simon has failed that simple directive.
In a lawsuit filed yesterday in L.A. County Superior Court, Herb Simon and his Thai supermodel wife, Bui, are accused of firing Claudia Leite after she told her bosses she became pregnant last month.
In the suit, Leite claims the family “feared” that she would want to take a “brief or limited medical leave of absence” around the time the baby was due — and according to Leite, that wasn’t gonna cut it. But the nanny isn’t going after the Simons alone. The family’s former driver is also suing the couple, claiming they kicked him to the curb when the guy became “disabled with severe infections.”
Who knows if this is legitimate or just a money grab? Either way, what the Pacers really need right now to shore up support in the community is the owner ending up in tabloid headlines. At least he wasn’t firing a gun outside strip club. As far as we know.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 0
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 40
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 53
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16