Mar 12, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT
Is there anyone in OKC who doesn’t want to stay with the Thunder? They’re the closest thing the NBA has to an “it” team: a young, talented core, a smart, upcoming coach, a new NBA city with an energized fan base, and what could, should, and likely will be the first playoff appearance in Thunder history.
So Jeff Green’s declaration that he’d like to stay with the team via a contract extension, however important in terms of the team’s success, isn’t exactly noteworthy for the shock factor. From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Jeff Green on Thursday expressed his desire to sign a contract extension this summer and continue his career with the Thunder. “I’d love to,” Green told The Oklahoman. “It’s a great thing going here.”
The Thunder can re-sign Green to an extension of up to five years…Green’s situation…in some ways will hold more significance to the Thunder’s long-term building. Durant’s deal is expected to be an open-and-shut maximum contract. How much money Green will command after this season could have a long-lasting impact on the team’s salary cap and the caliber of players the Thunder can sign this summer with the future financial state always in mind.
That final note that Mayberry makes is an important one. Durant will receive the maximum offer from the Thunder, and he’s worth every penny. But how much is Jeff Green worth? Supplementary players are always difficult to appraise, and Green’s unique talents and skill set make Sam Presti’s job that much more difficult.
So while Durant’s extension could conceivably be signed and official sooner rather than later, Green’s deal will likely take some more prolonged negotiations, despite the fact that neither party wants Green going anywhere.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37