Mar 12, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
Leandro Barbosa — the only Brazilian athlete with two names — will not be on the court to torch the Lakers wretched point guard defense tonight. And he told the Arizona Republic he’s not sure when he will be back.
“No, I’m going to wait,” he said. “I don’t know how many games. I’m not strong yet with the (right) hand. It’s still a little bit weak. I can’t pass the way I want to pass. Hopefully I’ll be back soon. I’m excited and wanted to play, but I want to make sure I get back right.”
“The flexibility is good, but it’s just when I dribble the ball the arm is a little bit weak,” Barbosa said. “I haven’t done many things with the upper body so I think that’s the reason, It still feels good. A little stiff. I’ve been shooting every day, so I think it’s normal.”
Barbosa had surgery on his right wrist to remove a cyst.
His absence has given Goran Dragic the chance to keep proving he should have Steve Nash’s job some day (and Dragic will be back from his right ankle injury tonight). Dragic continues to be solid with spots of very good play. He keeps the ball moving — 5.7 assists to 1 turnover per game in his last three. He is fine as long as he doesn’t shoot to much — he is shooting just 23% from three and not a ton better everywhere else in his last 10 games. He will have the occasional good shooting game but is not consistent.
The Suns have not missed Barbosa all that much. When he does return, he’ll have something to prove.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 14
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 55
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73