Mar 12, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
Leandro Barbosa — the only Brazilian athlete with two names — will not be on the court to torch the Lakers wretched point guard defense tonight. And he told the Arizona Republic he’s not sure when he will be back.
“No, I’m going to wait,” he said. “I don’t know how many games. I’m not strong yet with the (right) hand. It’s still a little bit weak. I can’t pass the way I want to pass. Hopefully I’ll be back soon. I’m excited and wanted to play, but I want to make sure I get back right.”
“The flexibility is good, but it’s just when I dribble the ball the arm is a little bit weak,” Barbosa said. “I haven’t done many things with the upper body so I think that’s the reason, It still feels good. A little stiff. I’ve been shooting every day, so I think it’s normal.”
Barbosa had surgery on his right wrist to remove a cyst.
His absence has given Goran Dragic the chance to keep proving he should have Steve Nash’s job some day (and Dragic will be back from his right ankle injury tonight). Dragic continues to be solid with spots of very good play. He keeps the ball moving — 5.7 assists to 1 turnover per game in his last three. He is fine as long as he doesn’t shoot to much — he is shooting just 23% from three and not a ton better everywhere else in his last 10 games. He will have the occasional good shooting game but is not consistent.
The Suns have not missed Barbosa all that much. When he does return, he’ll have something to prove.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20