Mar 12, 2010, 6:58 PM EDT
The Wizards don’t want Josh Howard back next year. Well, to be clear, they don’t want him back at $11.8 million, so there is no way rebuilding Washington is going to pick up his option for next year.
That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t mind having him in a Wizards uniform at a lower price. And Howard seems cool with that, as he described it to the Washington Post.
“I feel like I’m in a good place right here in Washington if they give me a shot. Great city, fans support. Another top-notch organization. Can’t beat it. And I’m close to home,” said Howard, a North Carolina native. The Wizards “gave me a fresh start. Being able to come to an organization that’s great, leaving another great one where I learned a lot. I’m hoping that I can still teach people what I learned there.”
Howard came east in the Caron Butler/Brendan Haywood deal that has sparked Dallas. Howard may have sparked Washington, but three games after the trade he injured his knee and had to shut it down for the season.
It will ultimately be about the money — it is always about the money. ALWAYS. But if the dollars are close this summer, Howard might spend a season or three inside the beltway.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 4
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 7
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 7
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay