Mar 12, 2010, 10:02 AM EST
Outside of area newspaper columnists who dream of how much easier this would make their jobs, nobody thinks the New York Knicks are getting LeBron James this summer. Dwyane Wade is out, too.
So what is Plan B? Joe Johnson?
There is a growing sentiment among opposing team executives that at the very least the Knicks will sign Atlanta’s Joe Johnson, whose agent, Arn Tellem, orchestrated the Tracy McGrady trade to the Knicks and has been friends with Walsh for 20 years. It’s called a “wink-wink deal,” and even though it is against NBA rules, the practice does exist and is nearly impossible to police.
“I think that’s a done deal,” said one Eastern Conference GM.
If Walsh can’t land either James or Dwyane Wade but ends up with Johnson, another option is luring Toronto’s Chris Bosh in a sign-and-trade. Sources claim the Raptors would be open to such a deal if it included David Lee.
Joe Johnson is an All-Star player — and he is not the guy you rebuild around. A shooting guard at age 29 (next season) is usually just a year or two away from the down slope of their career. Bosh, on the other hand, is a legit big signing.
But how good would a Bosh/Johnson and “whatever is left on the Knicks roster after David Lee is gone” team going to be? Seven seed? Is that really rebuilding for the long haul? Walsh better hope the Yankees do something to dominate the back page of the Post this summer, because if it is Bosh and Johnson it could be a long hot one in New York.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 15
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 2
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 16
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)