Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
What does March Madness mean for an NBA fan? Showcasing draft picks. That’s what.
And with conference play in full swing, we’re in the grips of a tidal wave of surge for Ohio State standout Evan Turner as a number one overall prospect, even over uber-prospect John Wall, who has been projected as the top pick, since, well, I think since he was born.
Turner has been phenomenal this year, and is a near-lock for Player of the Year (named it for Sporting News). He added to the highlight reel today with this unfathomable game-winning shot against Michigan in the Big 10 tournament.
Turner is older than Wall, and Wall’s combination of vision, athleticism, speed, and length combined with the high value of point guards in the NBA will probably be enough to keep him in the top spot. But say the Nets come to the conclusion that LeBron isn’t coming, and don’t want to trade Devin Harris. Adding Turner to Harris-Lopez would make for a stellar young triad, along with some depth.
Or how about the Timberwolves, who need to draft another point guard like they need a a pretty boy Euro-guard who doesn’t like snow. Wait, no, the old phrase goes “a kick in the head.” Whatever. The Wolves would leap at the chance to take Turner, team him with Rubio in 2016 when Rubio’s last appeal fails, and have a contending team in 2015.
It might make for an interesting debate, the likes of which we haven’t seen since Durant-Oden.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?