Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
What does March Madness mean for an NBA fan? Showcasing draft picks. That’s what.
And with conference play in full swing, we’re in the grips of a tidal wave of surge for Ohio State standout Evan Turner as a number one overall prospect, even over uber-prospect John Wall, who has been projected as the top pick, since, well, I think since he was born.
Turner has been phenomenal this year, and is a near-lock for Player of the Year (named it for Sporting News). He added to the highlight reel today with this unfathomable game-winning shot against Michigan in the Big 10 tournament.
Turner is older than Wall, and Wall’s combination of vision, athleticism, speed, and length combined with the high value of point guards in the NBA will probably be enough to keep him in the top spot. But say the Nets come to the conclusion that LeBron isn’t coming, and don’t want to trade Devin Harris. Adding Turner to Harris-Lopez would make for a stellar young triad, along with some depth.
Or how about the Timberwolves, who need to draft another point guard like they need a a pretty boy Euro-guard who doesn’t like snow. Wait, no, the old phrase goes “a kick in the head.” Whatever. The Wolves would leap at the chance to take Turner, team him with Rubio in 2016 when Rubio’s last appeal fails, and have a contending team in 2015.
It might make for an interesting debate, the likes of which we haven’t seen since Durant-Oden.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20