Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
What does March Madness mean for an NBA fan? Showcasing draft picks. That’s what.
And with conference play in full swing, we’re in the grips of a tidal wave of surge for Ohio State standout Evan Turner as a number one overall prospect, even over uber-prospect John Wall, who has been projected as the top pick, since, well, I think since he was born.
Turner has been phenomenal this year, and is a near-lock for Player of the Year (named it for Sporting News). He added to the highlight reel today with this unfathomable game-winning shot against Michigan in the Big 10 tournament.
Turner is older than Wall, and Wall’s combination of vision, athleticism, speed, and length combined with the high value of point guards in the NBA will probably be enough to keep him in the top spot. But say the Nets come to the conclusion that LeBron isn’t coming, and don’t want to trade Devin Harris. Adding Turner to Harris-Lopez would make for a stellar young triad, along with some depth.
Or how about the Timberwolves, who need to draft another point guard like they need a a pretty boy Euro-guard who doesn’t like snow. Wait, no, the old phrase goes “a kick in the head.” Whatever. The Wolves would leap at the chance to take Turner, team him with Rubio in 2016 when Rubio’s last appeal fails, and have a contending team in 2015.
It might make for an interesting debate, the likes of which we haven’t seen since Durant-Oden.
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games