Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
What does March Madness mean for an NBA fan? Showcasing draft picks. That’s what.
And with conference play in full swing, we’re in the grips of a tidal wave of surge for Ohio State standout Evan Turner as a number one overall prospect, even over uber-prospect John Wall, who has been projected as the top pick, since, well, I think since he was born.
Turner has been phenomenal this year, and is a near-lock for Player of the Year (named it for Sporting News). He added to the highlight reel today with this unfathomable game-winning shot against Michigan in the Big 10 tournament.
Turner is older than Wall, and Wall’s combination of vision, athleticism, speed, and length combined with the high value of point guards in the NBA will probably be enough to keep him in the top spot. But say the Nets come to the conclusion that LeBron isn’t coming, and don’t want to trade Devin Harris. Adding Turner to Harris-Lopez would make for a stellar young triad, along with some depth.
Or how about the Timberwolves, who need to draft another point guard like they need a a pretty boy Euro-guard who doesn’t like snow. Wait, no, the old phrase goes “a kick in the head.” Whatever. The Wolves would leap at the chance to take Turner, team him with Rubio in 2016 when Rubio’s last appeal fails, and have a contending team in 2015.
It might make for an interesting debate, the likes of which we haven’t seen since Durant-Oden.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 6
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1