Mar 12, 2010, 10:30 PM EDT
What does March Madness mean for an NBA fan? Showcasing draft picks. That’s what.
And with conference play in full swing, we’re in the grips of a tidal wave of surge for Ohio State standout Evan Turner as a number one overall prospect, even over uber-prospect John Wall, who has been projected as the top pick, since, well, I think since he was born.
Turner has been phenomenal this year, and is a near-lock for Player of the Year (named it for Sporting News). He added to the highlight reel today with this unfathomable game-winning shot against Michigan in the Big 10 tournament.
Turner is older than Wall, and Wall’s combination of vision, athleticism, speed, and length combined with the high value of point guards in the NBA will probably be enough to keep him in the top spot. But say the Nets come to the conclusion that LeBron isn’t coming, and don’t want to trade Devin Harris. Adding Turner to Harris-Lopez would make for a stellar young triad, along with some depth.
Or how about the Timberwolves, who need to draft another point guard like they need a a pretty boy Euro-guard who doesn’t like snow. Wait, no, the old phrase goes “a kick in the head.” Whatever. The Wolves would leap at the chance to take Turner, team him with Rubio in 2016 when Rubio’s last appeal fails, and have a contending team in 2015.
It might make for an interesting debate, the likes of which we haven’t seen since Durant-Oden.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13