Mar 12, 2010, 12:53 PM EST
We’ve finally found some pot even the members of Phish wouldn’t smoke.
Former Jazz center Robert Whaley was arrested in Salt Lake City yesterday and jailers found marijuana “between his buttocks.” Here’s the account from SLC:
Whaley, 27, had warrants for his arrest for absconding from probation in Michigan. A police document filed with the Salt Lake County jail says gang detectives stopped a car about 4:30 a.m. Thursday. Whaley was a passenger and was not wearing a seat belt, the document says.
“Robert was also found to be in possession of several baggies of marijuana that he was holding between his buttocks,” a police officer wrote.
Whaley remained in the Salt Lake County jail on Friday morning. The jail’s Web site says he is being held in lieu of $10,000 bail.
Whaley is the only guy to ever make the NBA out of Walsh college, a second-round draft pick of the Jazz in 2005, who kept him on the end of the bench for a season and let him play in garbage time 23 times. He was traded to the Raptors the next season but they waived him.
In 2008 he played in 21 games — starting nine — for the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the D-League, the Lakers-owned affiliate.
Apparently we’ll see how he does on the prison playground league now.
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 1
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 4
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)