Mar 12, 2010, 12:53 PM EDT
We’ve finally found some pot even the members of Phish wouldn’t smoke.
Former Jazz center Robert Whaley was arrested in Salt Lake City yesterday and jailers found marijuana “between his buttocks.” Here’s the account from SLC:
Whaley, 27, had warrants for his arrest for absconding from probation in Michigan. A police document filed with the Salt Lake County jail says gang detectives stopped a car about 4:30 a.m. Thursday. Whaley was a passenger and was not wearing a seat belt, the document says.
“Robert was also found to be in possession of several baggies of marijuana that he was holding between his buttocks,” a police officer wrote.
Whaley remained in the Salt Lake County jail on Friday morning. The jail’s Web site says he is being held in lieu of $10,000 bail.
Whaley is the only guy to ever make the NBA out of Walsh college, a second-round draft pick of the Jazz in 2005, who kept him on the end of the bench for a season and let him play in garbage time 23 times. He was traded to the Raptors the next season but they waived him.
In 2008 he played in 21 games — starting nine — for the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the D-League, the Lakers-owned affiliate.
Apparently we’ll see how he does on the prison playground league now.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 9
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4